Saturday, March 2, 2013

Guinea Pig: Flowers of Flesh and Blood

This movie might be one of the most notorious "shocking films" ever made. While it may not be that Herculean of a task to make Charlie Sheen flip out and mistake fiction for reality, this second film in the Guinea Pig series is famous for doing so. Supposedly he called the cops/FBI/Interpol/whoever to report this as an actual snuff film, and the rest is history. Now you'll see this movie show up on just about every list of disturbing (or at least most offensive) cinema there is.

After watching this at long last, I can confirm that this is grossly offensive and thoroughly repugnant in many ways. Rarely have I seen such care put into the making of something so disgusting. More than anything else, I was shocked that it looked as good as it did. I always figured it would be super cheap and crappy looking, but I was wrong. There's also actually a little bit of acting on the part of the killer. He's not exactly great, but the role is actually kind of darkly funny - he's basically an artist whose work consists of abducting women, shooting them up with drugs so they feel no pain, and then cutting off their hands and arms and legs, pulling out their innards, chopping of their heads and finally scooping out their eyeballs. Of course, none of those things are particularly funny, but the thought of all of that fucked up shit being done to people in the name of Creating Art is.

Luckily for me (and you, should you decide to watch this), this movie's only about 40 minutes. It's a rough 40 minutes, though. I spent the vast majority of that time with my mug scrunched up into what 3rd Bass called "The Gas Face". The makeup and gore effects are so good (aside from a couple of moments, anyway) that I felt nauseated a couple of times as I watched. Not good enough to call the cops or anything, but then again I wasn't high as fuck so who knows.

I know there's much worse coming down the pike with this blogging experiment, at least according to the comment sections on IMDB. I can only imagine how mind-blowing seeing this must have been back in the late eighties. In that regard, I'm glad it took me 18 years to get around to seeing it.

Tomorrow: Henry:Portrait of a Serial Killer

No comments:

Post a Comment